Earn your associate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The Individual Studies AS allows you to explore majors, career options, and futures. The broad-based degree prepares students for transfer into four-year programs at various colleges and universities. A general degree in individual studies can be tailored to fulfill a career goal that cannot be met by traditional program offerings or to use credits you may have already earned at another institution.
Students with an individual studies degree work closely with an advisor to prepare for transfer into bachelor's degrees that take them into a variety of careers such as nonprofit, communications, business, entrepreneurship, healthcare management, human services, and more. Students can transfer easily into a four-year degree completion program as a junior because of their work with the advisor to take classes for specific degrees and completion of all SUNY general education requirements.
Coursework in the individual studies program at Alfred State is offered in 4- to 7-week sessions to help you better focus on each course.
Why choose individual studies
- Finish your SUNY general education requirements.
- Use credits from various programs to build your degree.
- Take classes you want to take in fields that interest you.
- Take classes that accommodate your job specializations.
- Obtain credits while you figure out what degree you want to study at a 4-year college.
- What's an associate degree?
- An associate degree usually takes two years of study and prepares students for employment or transfer to a bachelor’s program at a four-year university.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Access to a personal tutor
- You will have access to a tutor when you need assistance with any of your classes.
- SUNY Online Degree at Scale
- In addition to the features listed above, this SUNY Online Degree at Scale includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- REQUEST MORE INFO
How do I enroll?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee (if applicable)
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- APPLY NOW